Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Sticky Bourbon Teriyaki Seared Sirloin Steak

Sticky Bourbon Teriyaki Seared Sirloin Steak

This was my lunch today and I have to say that it was delicious! This sticky, smokey, rich, sweet, dark molasses sauce is an amazing complement to steak 

I've been trying to cook out of my comfort zone recently and this recipe is a good example of how I am doing that. The sauce is a sticky-sweet reduction unlike anything I have tried before and I am pretty pleased with the outcome. It is too simple not to try and there is a lot of wiggle room for preferred flavor, which is just lovely!

I started this recipe knowing that I wanted teriyaki steak and went from there. On hand in my kitchen I had some Jim Beam Bourbon and some Kikoman Teriyaki Sauce so with those two ingredients plus some brown sugar, Worcestershire, garlic, and pepper I made a yummy glaze for some sirloin steaks with rice. 


With all of those combined in a sauce pot I simmered, stirred, and reduced the sauce for about 10 minutes until it was a syrup-like sticky consistency!
Before being reduced
Simmered and Reduced and Ready to go!

Bourbon teriyaki sauce
Sweet, sticky, beauty!
After I made the sauce I trimmed the fat off the steaks because no one wants to eat that!

Instant Slim-Down!
When the steaks were trimmed I used half of the sauce to cover both steaks, seared them over medium-high heat, then reduced the heat to medium to cook them to a nice medium-rare! Searing the steaks gives them a beautiful smoky crust on the outside which is the perfect complement to the tender meat. After the steaks were done I removed them from the heat and allowed them to rest on a cutting board for about 5 minutes. It is important to remember not to cut into the steaks until after they have rested so the juices are kept inside, this keeps the meat incredibly moist and tender! It also allows for carry-over cooking after being removed from the heat which means the internal temperature will rise about 5 degrees and cook the meat a little more. After they were done resting I sliced up the steaks and served them over rice. Then, I drizzled the remaining bourbon teriyaki sauce over the steaks and was good to go!




Here is how to make this recipe:

Serves- 2    Prep- 5 minutes   Cooking time- 25 minutes   Total Time- 30 minutes
Ingredients:

  • 2 Loin Top Sirloin Steaks
  • 3/4 Cup- Bourbon (I used Jim Beam)
  • 1/4 Cup- Packed Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup- Kikoman Teriyaki Sauce (Or your favorite teriyaki sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon- Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 teaspoons- Granulated Garlic
  • 1 teaspoon- Black Pepper
Instructions:


  1. Whisk bourbon, brown sugar, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire, garlic, and pepper together in a sauce pot.
  2. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer
  3. Simmer for 10-13 minutes stirring frequently until sauce reduces to about 1/2 cup and reaches a think syrup-like consistency- it will thicken as it cools
  4. Remove from heat and set aside
  5. Use half of sauce to coat both steaks- set rest aside
  6. Heat a frying pan to medium high
  7. Add both steaks to pan and allow to sear for 1 minute on each side
  8. Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook for 2-4 more minutes on each side (depending on preference of how well done you like it)
  9. Remove steaks from pan and allow to rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes before slicing
  10. Drizzle remainder of sauce onto steaks and serve with rice


You can find this recipe on ZipList Here: Sticky Bourbon Teriyaki Seared Sirloin Steak


Happy Reducing!


Subscribe to King's!


http://kingsbakery.blogspot.com/ http://kingsbakery.blogspot.com/ http://kingsbakery.blogspot.com/ http://kingsbakery.blogspot.com/ Image Map

7 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds insanely delicious. I have to try this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this recipe, it looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great week!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    My weekly Say G'day linky is up and this post would be a perfect addition. Please pop by and join in if you have a minute.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Thanks for sharing at Savoring Saturdays. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This glaze looks gorgeous! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious, all the flavours sound brilliant. I'll be featuring this as my favourite on Sweet and Savoury Sunday. Stop by grab a button and link up with us again this week. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, it is past midnight and now I am so hungry! :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you can join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2012/02/look-what-we-did-wednesday_29.html

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10